Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 30, 2017

A Day Out with bargain shopping at UK's Poundstretcher, Poundland or second hand in Europe


Poundland in Harrow, N W London. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Problem
Where can I buy on a budget when out for the day or away on holiday? Usually I look at goods at stores far away in the UK and think, I'm not driving that far. It's too much time and effort. The cost of the petrol outlays the savings in post and packing. I also have trouble persuading my family that shopping is a valid way to spend a weekend or holiday.

Answer
Later in the year on a bright day, when I want to get out, I am thinking, where shall I go? At this point I wish I had thought to keep a list of stores out of town which have bargains, or items I'd like to see before deciding whether to order on line.

I could make a note of the store, search for a good restaurant or place of interest in the area, then present to the family the place of interest, with my shopping diversion as an optional add on.

UK
What inspired this thought? Today's bargain in the UK.

JACK AND JILL WOODEN BENCH SET | Poundstretcher

Pound stretcher emailed me. Their website lets you type in your postcode and find the nearest store. They are a a discount store. They stretch your pounds, so items can be well over £1.

This is where you will get larger items such as this garden furniture.

If you want a store where everything is a pound, try Poundland.


Poundland in St Ives, Cambridgeshire. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

You'll also find factory shops all over the UK, such as the Denby factory in Derbyshire, and factory outlet shopping complexes. A budget clothing store is Primark.

Charity shops include Oxfam and St Luke's. Oxfam and other charities also have online websites and sell through ebay.

In the UK on line you will find (alphabetically) : ebay;  gumtree; preloved.co.uk ; vented.co.uk; and several more websites.

EUROPE (countries listed alphabetically)

BULGARIA
Mania has many second hand shops in Bulgaria's capital Sofia and other towns .
See 
website: maniastores.bg
Bg stands for Bulgaria, not bargain!

FRANCE
Look for troc.com

GERMANY
In Germany look for flea markets in summer called Flohmarkt. (I typed f l e a. I came back and found spell checker had sneakily changed it to fly when I wasn't looking!)
Markt is German for market.

GREECE
Bulgarian shop Mania has opened a couple of branches in the capital of Greece, Athens.

HUNGARY
Hada has about sixty shops.

ROMANIA
Bulgaria's Mania has moved north into the adjacent country of Romania and opened a couple of shops in Romania's capital city, Bucharest.

In Romania as we drove out through Brasov I noticed stores called Second Hand (yes, written in English), operated by a company called Humana.
Second Hand Humana shop, Brasov, Romania. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

http://www.humana-slovakia.org/en/second-hand-clothes/why-second-hand-clothes

In the UK we had some controversy.  Charities distributing collection bags for collections made for second hand goods. Many donors assumed the goods went directly to needy people, or the charity's shops. Some donors were disappointed, or angry on learning that that the goods were being sold by a third party which took a profit.

Whether you want to support registered charities, discount stores, or just want to buy second hand clothes and goods, up to you.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have several other posts on shopping for bargains and discounts and charity shops in the UK, Europe, and Asia including Singapore. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: