Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Songwriting Courses And Competitions, Discounts And Hotel Offers


Composing music. Photo by Daniel Means, in Wikipedia.

Problem
All the online songwriting courses I've looked at are so expensive. They veer between luxury hotels in the likes of Los Angeles for meeting record producers and world-famous songwriters, to sleeping in tents with hippies, singing and strumming folk songs on campsites, sleeping in tents, meeting in tents or around campfires and under trees, all mud, and music, a bit like Glastonbury.

The Songwriting Academy runs courses in London, New York, and in Germany at Kiel and Hamburg. In addition, they have online courses. Assorted discounts are available to members and subscribers to various programmes and organizations - check it out for yourself.

Answers
Songwriting In Spain
If money is no object, or you think it's a worthwhile investment, you can go to a songwriting retreat in Andalucia, Spain. The Andalusian songwriting retreats cost £1,195.00+VAT.  The fact that they quote the VAT separately tells you that they are aiming at people who are in the songwriting business, rather than aspiring amateurs.

The choice of dates in 2018 is:
April 28- May 5.
May 26-June 2.
June 9-Jun 16.
Sept 8-Sept 15.
Flights are extra, they say, since they have people coming from all directions all over the world.

Photo courtesy of Paradoxion from Wikipedia.

Jazz, rock and pop songwriters typically write out newly composed songs in a lead sheet, which notates the melody, the chord progression, and the tempo or style of the song (e.g., "slow blues").

Songwriting Two Day Event In London
Happening soon in London in November 2017 is something for songwriters which looks more modestly priced.

When?
Nov 11-12 2017.

How much?
£77  for One Day.
£127 for Two Days.

£197 for Platinum - which also includes
the conference video (£97);
free one day introduction to songwriting course (£27);
Forward seating.

THE VIP fee is £237 which also includes
front row seating
evening concert
VIP party
glass of bubbly
TSA tee-shirt (£19.95)

Where?
At the Hilton Hotel, Tower Bridge, London, England. The Hilton Tower Bridge is an award-winning hotel, with a Tripadvisor rating for being green. The location is also great for major sights.
I've been on the Songwriting Academy mailing list for some time, waiting for a date, price, and place which suits me.

HOTEL DISCOUNT
The Hilton Hotel, Tower Bridge,  is currently (Oct 31 2017) offering a discount deal on booking a weekend stay for a minimum of three nights, 25% off.

Book an executive room or upgrade to one on check-in and you have access to the 9th-floor executive lounge where you benefit from free continental breakfast each morning, tea in the afternoon, all-day refreshments and evening canapés - as well as a dramatic view of the City of London from the terrace.

(Always ask the cost of an upgrade to the executive floor. If you are staying a week in a hotel, they might offer a free upgrade. The saving on breakfast for one or two or three, coffee all day, a place where you can sometimes invite a guest or business acquaintance for a free coffee and nibbles. Very handy, as a gesture of goodwill, or to reciprocate for meals they bought you.  Usually hotels allow one guest per resident, so if two of you are resident, you can invite two guests.

For current prices and more details about the hotel, see:
5 MORE LONDON PLACE, TOOLEY STREET, LONDON, SE1 2BY, UNITED KINGDOM TEL: +44-203-002-4300 FAX: +44-203-002-4350.

You might also be interested in
The John Lennon Songwriting Contest:
http://jlsc.com

For more from The Songwriting Academy contact:
https://thesongwritingacademy.co.uk/
https://thesongwritingacademy.co.uk/making-happen-songwriting-conference/
The Music Benevolent Fund also offers courses, one in Buxton, England, with awards.

The Song Singing In My Spinning Head
By Angela Lansbury

My half-finished novel hides under the desk
In my head drums a half-finished song
One day I'll be proud to show you my words
Like panning diamonds, it won't take too long
When thoughts flow so right, what could go wrong?

I wish money would rain like confetti
I'd love to make you feel proud
Yet I stammer and sing in a whisper
But one day I'll stand tall, and sing loud
The sky will be blue, I won't allow cloud!

One day both the sun and the moon will shine bright-ly
The world will dance circles and chant my name
I'll see white neon light blink my name in the night
Maybe my simple life won't stay the same -
I won't drink water; I'll drink Champagne!

Because I have your love already
Why lose you in crowds? I have all that I need
Yet I'd love our future to blossom
Like big, colourful flowers, grown from small seeds
I'll wave a gold wand and turn words into deeds!

My half-finished novel hides under the desk
In my head drums a half-finished song
One day I'll be proud to show you my words
I promise I won't delay too long
I could end in a week, if I could be strong

I  need a great friend to show me the way
To assure me wild dreams can come true
Whilst I scan the world for a stranger's soft eyes
I hope and pray my sweet saviour is you.
New friends will be countless, old friends, like you, few.
Angela Lansbury, copyright 2017.


https://thesongwritingacademy.co.uk/making-happen-songwriting-conference/
http://www.prsformusicfund.com/2017/01/need-a-short-break-a-songwriting-retreat-we-can-help/
Update 2022

No comments: