Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, November 11, 2017

How to remember and match countries and capitals: Albania, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia

Problem
How do you match up capital and countries? I used to muddle up Lithuania and Latvia. Now I've got them all clear. How?

Answers
I imagine a figure of eight. The big base is Lithuania, a long word, longer than Latvia with is north of it. The capital of Lithuania is Vilnius. Both contain the letter U.

Latvia and Riga and shorter words. Both contain an I and an A. Country Latvia. Capital Riga.

North or Top of the three countries is a different first letter, Estonia. T for top, T for Talinn.  Letters T I and N. (N and t also in North.)

Finally, the country Albania and its capital Tirana. Tirana ends ANA. Albania includes ANA.   Anna from Tirana, capital of Albania.

Let's look at them again as a reminder:

EstoNIa - TalINn. Talinn is in Estonia.
LatviA - RigA - shorter words.
LithUania  - VilniUs - longer words. Tell us about Vilnius in Lithuania.

AlbANia - TirANa.

Tip
I have been learning capitals of the world on Duolingo TinyCards. With my Letter Links as memory aids, I fly through.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker, learner and teacher of English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and other languages.
I have several other posts on languages and memory aids. Please share links to your favourite posts.


No comments: