Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Remembering Chinese Names - rhymes, similar syllables, and sensible sentences

I have trouble remembering Chinese names. I am working on memory chains and rhymes.
For example, the late, great Lee Kwan Yew - lea(der) can [c(w)an] (do for) you. The leader can cut the yew tree.

Kan Kin Fung - can (my) kin / king (have) fun (eat fung_us - have fun).
Mr can-do. Mr can-do with his kin has fun eating fungus.

Koh Hock Seng - co(sy) hock(ey) sen(g).  Hockey stick SENds a ball. The COde for drinking HOCK inspires the SENses.

Min - minute or minimum or minuscule.
Wong - wrong / make a couplet or limerick about Mr Wong is never wrong.

Lim out on a limb.
Ming - king or ring or sing. A ming vase.

Wei Ling ... She is not wailing but smiling.

... Mei Ling  My friend is mailing me.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and teacher of English and languages.

No comments: