Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

What use are limes, lime leaves and kaffir lime leaves?

Limes. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.
Problem
A friend in Singapore gave me little limes with leaves from her trees. Why leave on the leaves?

Answer
I thought the leaves were merely for decoration or so I could identify a lime tree. Then a member of my family said limes leaves are used in curry.

He said, "So few leaves won't add much. However, the lime leaves most frequently used are kaffir leaves. You use the leaves rather than the lime."

Lime Drink
I like to use limes with cold water or warm water to make a refreshing cool drink, a limeade (like lemonade but with limes) or a warm tea. It has more flavour than lemon and makes a change.

In my childhood a popular drink was a branded lime juice cordial. Nowadays, I like to make fresh drinks.

Mix with lemon and lemongrass for more zest. Speaking of which, add the zest.

You can also add lime to cocktails, including gin and tonic and margaritas, to add a sour flavour.

Lime Food
You can make a jelly. Or a pickle
Americans like key lime pie, from the Florida keys, but found all over the USA.

Health Benefits
Limes, like lemons and grapefruit, contain vitamin C. Limes were used by the British navy to prevent scurvy, with the result that British sialors were nicknamed limeys.

Leftover Limes
Too many limes? To time to use them? You can freeze them, defrost them, if you like microwave them.

Leftover Lime Peel
I would also save the peel to help remove grease from dishes. It might also help as an insect repellent.

Giving and Taking Fruit Gifts
I would never take a piece of fruit or a leaf or any part of a friend's or neighbour's tree without asking. (Unless it's hanging over my property, in which case I believe that legally it is mine.) I would much rather ask if it's okay, or talk about it hoping they will eventually pull off a bit to show me and offer me some to take away. Let them have the joy and credit for giving; also instead of feeling guilty, I can feel blessed by the generosity of my friend.

More Information
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(fruit)

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.


No comments: