Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Duolingo - Struggling With Chinese Symbol Language - I know the sign for 'not'

Problem
In Duolingo you are given multiple choice questions relating signs to sounds. But I have trouble remembering them. In the tiny cards you are given pictures. In The Duolingo main course you have to make up your own.

Answers
Sign For No
I have worked out that the sign for not is like an arrow going upwards and hitting a ceiling.

She is not happy starts with the sign for she. Next, the second sign is for not (the up arrow with the line above it). Finally, thirdly, the sign for happy, which looks like four sparks, like the signs for a sun when you draw a circle and four raditating lines around the top.

The sign for mother looks like the letter M sideways on the right.

The signs for water and tap remind me of the sign for a tap or, as the Americans would say, a faucet.

So, now I can read :
I (am) happy,
I (am) not happy
Mother (is) happy
Mother (is ) not happy
You (are) happy
You (are) not happy.

I also understand why Chinese people say in English: 'You happy?' or ask, 'You not happy?'
They are translating word for word.

They would be better off learning a whole phrase;

You are happy.

Author
Angela Lansbury

No comments: