Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Palm trees and tree trail in central Singapore: walking from City Hall train station

One of the historic buildings in central Singapore is the former City Hall which is now the stately National Gallery.

I went to City Hall MRT station. How do you get up to the street to the gallery?

I took a roudabout walk by mistake, trying to escape from the City Hall MRT station. The signs directed me into what seemed like a mile long avenue of shops. 

I looked for an exit up to ground level. The only exit warned that it was alarmed. 

I could not see how anybody would escape in a fire. I felt foolish, claustrophobic, time-wasted and irritated, trapped in a long shopping mall.

When I reached ground level, I found myself in another long walk, this time through trees which had been listed, each one marked with its botanical name. Between them was a thoughfully made sign on the tree trail.

My day and evening was worthwhile. A step meter on my phone usefully told me I had taken zero steps. Really! 

So, zero to the mobile ap, zero to the safety of the exit from the underground walkway, but top marks to the designers of the tree trail.


If you like trees, you might enjoy the BBC trailer for a programme featuring actress Judi Dench and what she learned about how trees communicate.

Your New Year plans could include learning more about trees.

Useful Websites

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jxnv4 (Judi Dench trailer on programme on trees.)

No comments: