Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, January 5, 2018

Update on learning to swim the crawl on holiday

Problem
I can already swim breast stroke and I am learning the crawl. (I aim to learn one new stroke a year.) Regarding the crawl, I have progressed from doggy paddle to something which looks like extended arm movements. So far so good.

The next stage is to get somebody to watch me. If you don't have an instructor, you could ask somebody to video you on a smartphone. Send the video to somebody who can do the crawl.

I have somebody to watch me. Bad news. He says I have my head out of the water, like breast stroke, and I should have my head under water, turning and coming up to breathe. Yikes!

My eyes should be under water. I had grasped the instruction to have ears under water and dealt with the dicomfort. I have a waterrpoof swimhat, most importantly pulled down over my ears.

But eyes under water? How about goggles?

Nose under water?

This requires some more co-ordination.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: