Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Pandan Leaf Cake - what it looks like - and how to load photos onto blogger

Here it is. Pandan leaf cake. A photo from Wikipedia.

You can see it is not my photo but by somebody called Midori.

I have just worked out how to solve three problems.

You want a free photo. Is it free?

Just go to Wikipedia. Wikipedia was founded with the express purpose of providing free information for the public to use (educational) and for the small start-up business which could not afford the cost of paying fees, nor the time and money to track down photographers and pay them.

Photographers donate photos either because they think it's a good idea, or to get more exposure for their great photos and the kudos of having their name, or to get more business by putting up one of their thousand photos as a free one. If you like their photo and you are a business you can pay them to take other photos for you.

As a photographer myself, I appreciate that a photographer cares very much for their name to appear. However, it's a nuisance loading up the photo, then going back to find the name. Then typing it up. Often they have foreign names with unusual spellings. If you want five photos in an article (my son who is in SEO Search engine optimization, or marketing websites, tells me one photo is not enough ) you can spend another half hour finding five photos and copying all the photographers' names.

I just found a solution. I was trying to load up, or upload as we now say, more concisely in computer speak. I could not move photos from my Wikipedia onto my laptop and then directly into blogger. The process required another step, moving the photos onto the desktop (the laptop 'desktop' - more computer speak).

Then I saw the words 'from your phone'. Photos were not on my phone. It took several days before I tried the obvious - which now seems obvious. In desperation, I took the photo which was on my laptop screen on my phone. Yes, you get a reduction in quality. But when it came to a choice between no photo, and a not perfect photo, I thought any photo was better than none.

Problem 1
You Download a photo from Wiki - how do you copy the name?
If you take a photo of your desktop photo, you can include the photographer's name.
The job is done fast. Because you have taken a photo, you have eliminated the risk of mistyping. You do not waste time needing to check for typos.

Back to my original subject - enjoy the picture of pandan cake.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: