Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 29, 2018

Thatched Triangular Houses In Madeira


Problem
Traditional triangular houses, like little pyramids, are a feature of Madeira. You see the images everywhere, on postcards and embroidered on tablecloths. But where are the houses?

I had given up hope of seeing them. Then I looked at a copy of walks in Madeira, the German version owned by the German driver of one of the cars hired by my hiking holiday group.

I noticed the name of the area where the houses were found. It was the same name I saw on the signpost ahead!

Two of our cars, travelling in convoy back from a hike to the highest peak in Madeira, were looking for a restaurant where we could have coffee, tea, beer, and/or something to eat.Another plus would be a toilet.

As we drove into a village I saw one of the pyramid shape houses. We all commented, 'It looks amusing. But how can you live in it? Can you stand up in it? Is there room for furniture? There are no flat walls.'

The car drivers stopped when they came into the village and saw a busy cafe with people sitting outside on the corner of the main intersection. On the way back from the parking area I walked past a hotel with a thatched traditional cottage on the forecourt. People were taking selfies of themselves and their families of children in front of the open doorway.

I peeked inside. It had beds and furniture. It looked very cosy. Plus of course, very original, character.
It was much larger inside than it apeared from outside.

Over the road from the cafe was another of the triangular houses. Leading to it were a rose garden and a geranium garden. The reason why became apparent when I looked inside. It was a flower shop. Shelves on all sides showed brightly coloured flowers and packets of fruit and flower seeds.

Thatched house in Madeira used as a flower shop. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

This one seemed smaller, one room at the front, a door leading to the back. The shelves on the sides created a vertical-sided space like a normal square room.

Flowers
I was tempted to buy a banana plant. However, I was not sure it would be legal or advisable to bring a plant with roots to another country. I remember how phyloxera destroyed vineyards all over the world in the 1860s onwards.

So I bought some seeds instead. I hope to have plants with fruit to remind me of my trip to Maderia and the tirnagular houses.

The houses have red roofs and doors which makes them especially attractive. The buildings were constructed by farmers in the early days of Madeira. Now they are maintained as tourist attractions.

Thatched house in Madeira. Photo by Markus Bernet in Wikipedia.

Travel Tips
Fly by (alphabetically)
Azores Airlines (A Portuguese airline)
https://www.azoresairlines.pt/en 

British Airways
britishairways.com

EasyJet
easyjet.com

TAP Portuguese airlines
flytap.com

Flight Comparison
expedia
expedia.com

tripadvisor
tripadvisor.com

Official website
http://www.visitmadeira.pt/en-gb/homepage

Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Angela Lansbury

No comments: