Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

East meets west in the Trump and Kim Jong-Un Lunch Menu

Problem
What could I learn, or try, from the menu enjoyed by Trump, and Kim Jong-Un, two top world leaders in the news? I'll give you my Western and British view of this meal choice. Although I have lived in the USA, and Singapore, and been to south Korea and Korean restaurants in London, England and Korea, I have my own biased viewpoint.

Answers
Starters
Prawn cocktail is an old favourite in the UK from the 1960s. Good.  Avocado salad is a modern salad, with tasty and filling avocado supposedly having health benefits as well as tasting subtly good. Yes, that's ok by me.

I must pass on the octopus as I'm allergic to shellfish.  Although I used to eat prawn cocktail, I got caught out by Pacific Prawns and crab.

Main Courses
Beef rib was served with Red wine sauce on the side because Trump doesn't drink. That suits me, too. I am not keen on alcohol in food. A waste of good alcohol. Masks the true flavour of good meat.

Desserts
Chocolate tart.
Ice cream. Vanilla - sounds a bit dull, but I bet it really tasted of vanilla. Cherry coulis. That means cherry sauce. Bright colour to contrast with white ice cream and sharp flavour.
Can't go wrong with chocolate and ice cream. (Any refreshing fruit - well, they did have the cherry sauce?)

Kim Jong-un is keen on Western alcohol.
For me, no wines.  If I were him, I think I'd rather have a take home gift of alchol. When you are meeting a world leader on camera, discussing nuclear weapons which could blow up the world. getting drink, drunk, tipsy, is not a good idea.

It sounds like a good meal, with enough mixture of the familiar and the special and surprising.

Website
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44447714 - the menu from the BBC

Author

1 comment:

skm said...

This was truly a historic summit with all the world's attention on Singapore. What a spread of food!!