Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

What Does Portuguese Language in Madeira Sound Like?


Flag of Madeira.



Problem
I hear people speaking, what sounds like Russian or Polish. Sh sounds. What language is this?

Answer
It is Portuguese with the accent of Madeira. My friends who live in Lisbon find it hard to understand. I start to recognize the Sh and M word sounds.

However, it is very easy to read.

Signs everywhere are in English and Portuguese, on litter bins and signposts. That helps you to pick up the Portuguese. Sometimes signs show four languages, including German and French. The Portuguese are not so keen on Spanish. Spanish and Italian are similar to Portuguese, so that makes it easier to pick up Portuguese if you already know another European language.

A Portuguese lady happily tells me that Portuguese spoken in Madeira is distinctive, different. She grins as she tells me that Brazilian Portuguese is different again, and the most beautiful, very sing-song.


Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, learner and teacher of English and other languages. Meet me on Toastmasters International. I am VP PR for BHA broadcasting from Singapore on Zoom. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: