Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 22, 2018

Summer Strawberries and Foods In Season In London - mouli vegetables and fruit



VEGETABLES
I look for the new and surprising. In Tesco supermarket's reduced price area after 6 pm I saw a large long white vegetable, called mouli.

I asked an assistant, "What do I do with this?"
He replied, I thought unhelpfully, "You cook it."
Yes, I guessed that, but how do you cook it?

I got home and looked it up on the internet. First I kept finding a brand of kitchen machinery for chopping called a Mooli.   Then I found recipes. Wikipedia lists it under Daikon radish.

Mooli is a kind of horseradish. You could use it to spice up a soup such as a potato soup. But you can also eat it chopped into discs in salad. Pleasantly crunchy.

I didn't find it spicy at all.

Tesco also had a yogurt drink. (You could make your own lassi from a mixture or yogurt and milk, with added mango, or salt, or sugar.)

Then onto dessert.

FRUIT
Strawberries And Cream
Strawberries are in season in the supermarkets, small red strawberries with real summer strawberry flavour. Strawberries are traditionally eaten with pouring cream. Sometimes you get an offer to buy both together.

Perfect Pineapple
Summer fruits are superb value. In Tesco I saw pineapple for 80p, down from £1 and £1.10 earlier this year.

Summer Pudding
Our next trip to the supermarket will be searching for summer pudding.

Useful Websites
visitbritain.com
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photogrpaher, author and speaker.

No comments: