Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Do you have a chauffeur - in Indonesia?

Problem
Life in Indonesia is different, is some ways easier. In Shanghai  my friend's husband had a chauffeur. We spent a wonderful day going from one tourist site to another. Our destinations were not on major tours, or would have needed several days. We included a carpet factory where I bought a small carpet.

My other friend is living in Indonesia. Wages are low, so it is cheap to have a chauffeur, and cheaper than taking taxis.)

Over dinner in a hotel I asked him, "Do you have a chauffeur in Indonesia?"
He replied, "No, we sit on the floor."
I thought it was a witty pun. But he had misheard me.
When we sorted that out, he replied,
"Chauffeur. I thought you said sofa. No, I don't have a chauffeur. I did at the beginning. But I found it a nuisance."
"Why?"
"Drivers go off and park. Then you have to phone them and wait for them to turn up. They sometimes fall asleep and turn their phone off. Now I find it liberating to be able to drive myself and just go off instantly."

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: