Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 8, 2018

Portuguese words for good fish sandwich snack

Problem
Portuguese for Brazil is similar to Portuguese for Portugal and islands such as Madeira which was a shipping stop in the Atlantic. Madeira wine gets its name from the wine which heated up during transport and was fortified to protect it during the sea journey. Portuguese is easy to learn if you speak English and more so as it is similar to Spanish and Italian and the root romance language, Latin. How do you remember words you have just learned from Duolingo, the free language learning ap?

Answer
Find a hook to hang the word on. Then repeat the reminder to yourself all day and every day until the word is firmly in your memory. No time or energy for that? Never mind. I find that when I come back to repeat a half-done lesson or revision, the word comes to mind much faster than it did when I first learned it.

English - Portuguese
food - comida (ah - food) (if you prefer a word ending in o, to match food, use alimento like the alimentary canal in your body) 
good - bom as in Bombay (Now Mumbai)
kitchen - cozinho (like cuisine, with an H like kitchen, ends with Oh! excitement, mouth open as you walk into the kitchen and see the cuisine)
pasta - massa - I eat a mass of pasta
snack - lanche (like light lunch, snack lunch)
fish - peixe (i before e in English except in fish pe, fish pee, pe, ixe, start and end with vowels e peixe, x in the middle of the word like fish fins)
sandwich - sanduiche (almost the same but change the w to u, just like the w sound but shortened in shape)

Verbs
I drink - bebo (like imbibe)
I eat  - como (I eat)
I like - gusto de (have a liking for, de is of or for)
I write - escrivo

Portuguese
The o ending goes with I just like the Latin. At school I learned Latin, amo, amas, amat, meaning I love, you love, he, she or it loves.
amo (Latin for I love)
bebo - I drink (Portuguese for I drink)
comida - food
escrivo - I write
eu - I
gusto - I like (add de before a noun, rather like our English phrases I have a fancy for, liking for)
lanche - snack
pesce - fish
sanduiche - sandwich

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have several posts on Portugues and Madeira. Please read, bookmark and share links to your favourite posts. Thank you.






No comments: