Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, July 20, 2018

FIRST WORD IN TAMIL Just one word a day - Tamil Amma is mother



Problem
Some days I am just too busy or tired. But I need a break every hour. A glass of water. A new word. Just one word a day. An easy word. Easy to remember.

Today I want to learn one word of Tamil.

I shall learn the word mother.

Amma.

How do I remember it? My first thought was it looks like mama. But it starts am not ma. I AM a mother. Iam mamma. I am nearly there.

But in Singapore a maid is called an amah. Ah! I already recognize the word Amah.

English - Tamil
mother - amma (I am a mother)

Tamil - English
Amma - mother

English - Tamil
mother - amma

What is the Tamil for mother? Amma

Say it three times.
The Tamil for mother is Amma.
The Tamil for mother is Amma.
The Tamil for mother is amma.

Amma is what? Mother.
Amma means what? mother.
Amm is mother in what language? Tamil.
Do you speak Tamil? I know one word. Amma for mother. I can remember that because I was born with a mother. (I am a mother.)

What if I am teaching a man?
He can learn I am a man. She is a mother - amma.
I am a man, not an amma (which means mother).

Duolingo is my favourite system for learning languages. It is the one, the website, where I started learning Spanish. In those days it was free with no ads. Too good to last. Now they have sold out and you get ads or pay to have no ads and do the advanced courses.

Memrise teaches you by giving you a box in which you can write your own memory aid which you can choose to keep private or share.

Why keep it private? If it's your family's personl details, or a rude word, or not politically correct.

Why share it? For paying it back to the system and other users who have shared with you.

Useful websites:
Duolingo - Hindi is coming soon.
Indonesian is already up.

Memrise. Has Tamil.

duolingo.com
memrise.com

last word - Tamil for mother is AMMA!

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and phtographer, author and speaker, teacher of English and other languages. Grammarian / language evaluator regularly at two toastmasters international clubs in London, England (Harrovians and HOD) and one in Singapore, Braddell Heights advanced. Also regular speech evaluator and grammarian visiting more than 50 clubs a year in Singapore. Please read my other posts on learning languages, and visiting destinations. Share your favourite posts. I am give private lessons and workshops to businesses. If you want a personal lesson, an online lesson, or an entertaining after dinner talk or one day course at a business, please contact me. annalondon8@gmail.com I am also on Faceboo.

No comments: