Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 30, 2018

Romanian words you will recognize

Flag of Romania

Problem
On a video about a bear attack in northern Romania and the relocation of the bear, I saw a sentence which I half understood. I translated it and could recognize half or more of the words. To instantly forget them was a wasted opportunity. So I have collect them here to look at again and again later.

I saw a video on learning languages which said you learn quicker if you read about subjects which interest you. I've been hiking in Romania and was alarmed by all the signs warning about bears and not feeding them, nor leaving litter such as food or food wrappers lying around because that could attract bears.

Two sentences read in translation:

Aggressive bear will be carried to the reserve.
Bear from Tusnad which attacked two men will be relocated to Zarnesti.

The adjectives come after the nouns. In English we would say aggressive bear. In Romanian they say ursoaica  agresivă
(The bowl shape diacritic (accent) should be over the a. I don't have it on my keyboard so I have copied it.)

Answer
I find Romanian very easy, similar to Italian.

Romanian - English
agresivă - aggressive (matching female word)
barbati - men
care - which
de - of
din - from
doi  /două - two
dusa - carried
fi - be
în - in
la - to
mutat - moved
relocata - relocated
reservati - reserve / reservation
ursoaica - bear
va / voi - will

English - Romanian
aggressive - agresiv (masculine) / agresivă (feminine)
attacked - atacat
be - fi
bear - urs
carried - dusa, transportate
from - in
in - in
in the
men - bărbați (I could not get the cedilla under the t and had to copy the whole word)
moved - mutat
of - de
relocated - relocata
reserve / reservation - reservă / reservare
to (the) la
two - doi
which - care
will - va

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: