Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

How to Translate And Not Be Lost In Translation when it's raining cats and dogs

Problem
I was teaching Intermediate English in Singapore to pupils wanting to pass the English exam which would enable them to attend English speaking schools or colleges in Singapore.

After the lesson I and one of the pupils looked out of the window, waiting for the rain to stop before we set off for our homes.

I said, "It's raining cats and dogs."

He replied, puzzled, "I see cats - but I don't see any dogs."

I said, "It's an English expression. It means raining hard."

I looked up the translation on the internet.

You can find translations of many idioms into a page of different languages. It's interesting to see how many use similar expressions.

The Chinese Mandarin and Cantonese use the expression:
basin-bending big rain.

That's a translation into a Chinese idiom, with the words translated back more or less exactly.

For more idioms, go to:
omniglot.com

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Teacher of English and other languages.

No comments: