Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, June 30, 2022

Eggs Benedict With Smoked Salmon - what do you call it?

Shukla at Soyo restaurant


 Eggs Benedict is a classic breakfast dish supposedly invented in America for a diner named Benedict consisting of eggs in bacon. Since Jews, as well as Moslems, don't eat pork, the variation you get at restaurants serving no pork can substitute other foods. In Soyo restaurant in Golders Green, London, England, I had Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon. All my life I have struggled to remember the ingredients of Eggs Benedict. However, now I find it is easy to remember. I realize that it's eggs on toast, or breakfast eggs and bacon. The eggs are wrapped in the bacon. But for those who don't eat pork, smoked salmon is substituted. (For those who don't eat fish either, another variation is with spinach, a contrast or green and yellow.)

Wikipedia gives the two stories of supposed originators, rival characters called Benedict, as a first name or surname. The earlier dated version seems to be a financier who went into a hotel in New York. 

I sort of remembered a British character named Benedict. But maybe my memory simple abbreviated the story and edited out the fact that the man was American.  

Anyway, if you are in London, I recommend that you go to Soyo restaurant and try their Eggs Benedict, which is made with smoked salmon.


No comments: