Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 24, 2022

Writing my elevator speech in Chinese and other languages



Why learn to read a foreign language?

I want to read foreign languages so that I can read signs on stations and in hotels. I need to read signposts and maps when walking, driving, or taking a taxi.

It is also useful to be able to translate the headlines in newspapers.

When listening to conversations, I listen out for useful words, at least to know if the answer to a question is yes or no.waiters and hotel receptions saying, yes, no, we can, and we can't.

Greek

In the Meze restaurant in Limassol in Cyprus, I could only see that they were still discussing whether they could find us a table and when.

Russian 

When I listened to a Ukrainian woman talking on the mobile phone to her son, I kept hearing Da, which is yes in Russian, so I assumed it was the same in Ukrainian.

USA

We often hear about how you should prepare your elevator speech. That's a two minute speech introducing yourself when you happen to find yourself with the CEO or VIP - or in fact anybody who might be useful. 

First, make yourself sound pleasant: useful, helpful. (I am visiting your lovely country.) Or a recipient of the listener's greater wisdom. ('We are lost. Are you local?')

Next, end with your question. Or call to action.

Your request for action or answers could be simple. 'Where is the restaurant?' Or, 'Where is the nearest toilet?'  

Cyprus

In Cyprus, our statements and simplified questions were, "We (are) British tourists. Here (only) one day.  (We don't mind) waiting, (for a table). (Is that  ) OK? (Can we sit on) a chair? (And read) the menu? (Maybe order) a drink?"

Eventually, I want to give the introductory or icebreaker speech to a Mandarin speaking club in Singapore. I want to know how to introduce myself in a minimum of four minutes for a four to six minute speech.

Some sentences are easier than others. Some nationalities are easier to pronounce than others. Decide what you want to say, and the easiest way to remember the useful words. For example, Is it easier to say, I am English, or, I am not American. 

Can I make a joke? using the same sentence structure, I might use different nouns or adjectives. Translate, I am not American, I am not Australian, I am not Chinese, I am English. 

Many phrase books such as the Berlitz phrase books divide the sentences into useful things you can say in certain situations or places, such as at the doctor, dentist, hospital, airport, train or bus station.

Berlitz also started Earworms. I have the discs and books. They come in a set of two. I have set one for German and Chinese. The part one starts with a conversation on a plane. I would like a beer, a glass of water, and so on, to the air hostess. To your fellow passenger, I am from such and such a city. Where are you from. Are you married? I am married. (Vital for singles, this one, if looking for romance, and for married people, when trying to prevent trouble.)

In Chinese I wanted to look up the difference, if any, between I and me, and me and mine.

What are: I , me , my book 

I translate into Chinese, then separate the words to see what each one means. Then translate back into English.

Google translate gave me this

I - wo

of - de

book - shu

You have to watch the accents which are a guide to the tone. 


Useful Websites



No comments: