I got a high pitch buzzing warning on my mobile phone. The text was a warning from the government to not start barbecues or any flames outdoors, since the smallest spark could set off fires, endangering homes, businesses, people, and emergency responders. The warning mentioned a ban on fireworks and firepits.
I remember in previous years on the last night of our Writers' Summer School at the Hayes Conference Centre up in the cooler Midlands (cooler than London where I live) on the last night there was a sing-song around the firepit. They used to toast marshmallows. I enjoyed the songs, although I was wary of being bitten after dusk by midges, mosquitos, whatever.
However, this year the event did not take place on Wednesday August 6th, the last night. Only when I got the warning from the government, today, Friday August 8th, two days later, did it occur to me that the event was probably discontinued for safety reasons.
This follows reports of fires.
The temperature is 30 degrees centigrade in London, which is 82 Fahrenheit. But not humid like Singapore (where we lived for 30 years, on and off 1993 to 2024) which is sticky heat.
Elsewhere in Britain temperatures reached even higher. Homes were destroyed by wildfires. One woman lost 100 years of family photos. I have many of mine shared on social media, on WhatsApp, and in blogs.
Emergency Evacuation Suitcase
The Japanese keep a suitcase by the front door containing identity documents, food, clothes and more. A small sleeping bag would help if you wanted to sleep elsewhere.
Home Protection From Wildfires
1 Move away from your doors any inflammable items such as
doormats, or
plastic wheeled bins, or
pot plants.
They could set fire to your front door or back door.
2 Clear leaves and debris from gutters.
3 A wooden side gate can catch fire. A metal gate is safer.
4 Embers can fly in through vents under the house or in the roof. These need to be covered in small fireproof mesh. It can be done professionally, or DIY.
If asked to evacuate, do so. Leave while you can. Smoke can turn day into night so you cannot see to drive.
AI told me
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+save+homes+from+wildfires&oq=how+to+save+homes+from+wildfires
Useful Websites On Alerts & Fires
https://www.dailymail.com/news/article-16052031/UK-heatwave-wildfires-trains.html

No comments:
Post a Comment