Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, August 24, 2026

Practising Thinking And Speaking In German

 When I go to bed I lie awake thinking in German. Instead of counting sheep I count the words I know. The Duolingo system tells me I know more than a thousand. 

Listening Exercises

People used to complain that online courses, or book courses, taught them to read but they could not speak a new language. Duolingo has added in the last couple of years listening exercises where they check whether you have heard a specific word, a choice of three of a set of about six words, or which of two similar spoken words.

Speaking Exercises

There are also speaking exercises where you repeat a sentence which is both spoken and written and the system gives you a tick and congratulations or asks you to repeat it twice more until you get it right, or it says, let's move on from now. Every now and then you get asked to repeat exercises from the previous half hour or set of a certain number of exercises which were not right first time.

Practising Useful Vocabulary

When others are asleep I can't practise speaking aloud, but I can think through the names of items in the room, the house, an imaginary hotel, and requests at an airport, hotel or restaurant. 

I can tell the hotel or restaurant everything was perfect.

German - English

perfekt - perfect


English - German

perfect - perfekt

During the day I note useful, similar words from my activity, which today was reading jewellery-making instructions.

German - English

Armband - bracelet

elastische - elastic

hier - here

Informationen - information

klarer Nagellack - clear nail polish

Knoten - knot

Kordel - cord

Minuten - minutes

optional - optional

Schere - scissors (shears)


English - German

bracelet - Armband

clear nail polish - klarer Negellack

cord - Kordel

elastic - elastische

here - hier

information - Informationen

optional - optional

knot - Knoten

minutes - Minuten

scissors - Schere


  Where can you learn and practise speaking German? 

Flag of Germany


Flag of Austria

Flag of Switzerland

You can use German in Germany, Austria and German-speaking parts of Switzerland.  Also Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, and parts of Belgium and Italy.

Flag of Luxembourg.


Flag of Liechtenstein.

-ends-

Please follow my blogs on travel, dress of the day, and comical poetry. Share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: