Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, August 17, 2026

What I learned at Writers' Summer School

 The alarm woke me at 7 am even if I went to bed gone midnight. By 8 am I was in the room where a volunteer was giving us our writing task for Lift Up Your Pens. We had four of those sessions, Sunday to Wednesday. I attended every one. The summer school now costs somewhere near a thousand pounds for the short week, starting Saturday tea time, leaving after breakfast on Thursday.  Five nights of accommodation, all meals, and coffee and cake or biscuits for elevenses and tea-time.

You can sell books, giving 15% to the Hayes. You can buy books from other authors, mostly getting a signed copy. 

For me the week had two highlights. What I learned, and what I did.

What I Did

I had a bit part, about four sentences, in five minute comedy written by the Vice President for 2026, Maria Hemmings. She always tells a rude joke to end her introduction to the evening's proceedings for everyone in the large hall called the Main Conference Centre. She is the queen of comedy. 

This year hers, one of three good comedies, was voted the best comedy.

What I learned

What did I learn? That you can establish a character in only one sentence, or two. 

Gestures

That a gesture can emphasize the character. That you can show a lot on stage just by pointing at someone else, or yoursefl, or a part of yourself.


 


The next event will be August 7-12th 2027 at The Hayes Conference Centre, Derbyshire.

No comments: