Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Is an ice hotel a nice hotel? A drink, a bed, a wedding? Or would we prefer warm Italy and hot Cambodia?

Problem
To people from Singapore and Asian countries, any hotel in London, England, seems as chilly an an ice hotel. In London we have an ice bar.

I have not yet been to an ice bar nor an ice hotel, although I once saw an ice sculpture in a hotel lobby. However, I am fascinated by anything unusual and visually appealing. I do not like the cold, although I have been to ski resorts in the USA and New Zealand with the family, I prefer the warmth of Italy and even the heat of Singapore and Cambodia, but I would like the novelty of seeing an ice hotel.

Answer
A BBC website video shows what the ice hotel is like. I thought I would not be interested; but I started with watching the check-in when the receptionist tells you (the guest in the film) what clothes to wear in bed, and deals with questions about how to go to the bathroom at night.

I was short of time (I have my working day, bills, workers calling and other important things to deal with)  so I slid the slider at the bottom of the screen to the end. Plenty to watch when one has time, because I could see the video shows sculptures in ice and more.

Tip
ICE BAR
http://www.icebarlondon.com

HOTELS
You can stay in an ice hotel, drink at the bar, sleep in a sleeping bag, use reindeer fur, even get married in an ice chapel.
To see and learn more:
BBC video of an ice hotel:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p051qptm?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=bbctwo&intc_campaign=bbctwohighlights&intc_linkname=vidclip_icehotel_
For hotels at three locations in Europe and one in Quebec, Canada, see text and photos Wikipedia.
http://www.icebarlondon.com

If you want to see a hotel in a hot place I have actually visited, check out
1) Lemongrass and Ginger Hotel, Cambodia
The small amusing named Lemongrass and Ginger hotel, a budget with an outdoor swimming pool in Cambodia in the city of Seam Reap for visiting Ankor Wat temple; you can also visit several other temples by tuk-tuk, motorbike and canopy vehicle (often parked outside the hotel). I got an online deal on flights and hotels.
Lemongrass and Ginger Hotel in Cambodia.

You get a warm welcome in the Lemongrass and Ginger Hotel. They booked all our restaurants and shows and tours to temples and ran upstairs to fetch my forgotten shoes from the bedroom.
Smiling staff at Lemongrass and Ginger hotel, Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Warm greetings from staff at the Castello Monterone Hotel in Perugia, Umbria, Italy:



2  A Castle In Italy
The converted castle hotel, (converted from a ruin) in Umbria near and fabulous views overlooking the hilltop historic cobblestoned regional capital city of Perugia in Italy. The hotel is complete with suit of armour, bedrooms with beams but also all mod con bathrooms. I saw it on a press trip.
www.castellomonterone.com
umbriatourism.it


Photos of Castello de Monterone, near Perugia, Umbria, Italy. Photos by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

You could hold your reception in a castle overlooking Perugia. Or stay in a boutique hotel with frescoed ceilings and get married in the chapel in the next room.
Marry in this tiny upstairs chapel, enjoying the same peace as across the square in the hovel where St Francis slept, also visit in the square below the Museum of Roman mosaics.

 Across the hall is your bedroom of character.
Another view of this room. A choice of bedrooms.
umbriatourism.italy
See my previous posts on hotels.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share your favourite posts.

No comments: