Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, May 8, 2017

Kota Kinabalu, A Mountain To Climb in Malaysia and happy thoughts for non climbers and readers

Kota Kinabalu
Kinabalu
In Malaysia there's a popular climb to the top of Kinabalu. The climb is so popular that you have to go on a waiting list.

Why? Numbers of climbers are limited because of the limited number of guides (obligatory).  Also there's limited accommodation at the top, or rather on the way to the top.

Why do people stay overnight?

An ex pat told me,
"It's a very tall mountain.You can then start the ascent at 3 am in order to be at the top to enjoy the sunrise, standard technique.

"If you are very fit you can s n e a k out (the automatic spell check chose snake out!) once you have claimed your bedroom and go to the top for sunset to take a look and take a photo.

 "I've heard people do it. It's easy to do and your guide would never notice."

I asked, "Have you done it?"

"No. I'm knackered. Also you get altitude sickness. It's a seriously high mountain, higher than anything in Indonesia."

Not such a good idea, then.

"It has a famous c r a t e r called Low's crater, or ravine, where the British army got lost about twenty years ago. They lowered themselves down and got lost and rescued by natives, some time later, I think. Don't take my word for it. Look it up."

I'm going off this idea. I think I'll just look at the picture on my computer.

I'll also put some cream on my split heels. Did I really agree to a holiday with climbers this year? I agreed just to see a new country and a new city.

Walkers and Non-walkers
What if, like me, you are not into climbing Everest?

Go with the flow. I once went on a so called golfing travel press trip to Florida. Despite my golf never having got beyond putting level, and my major interest being everything except golf. In the event traffic to the event was so bad that we never got near it. The tourist board was perfectly happy with travel articles of Florida written by all the journalists nearly (all of whom, like me, were not interested in golf).

As they say: Don't worry. Be Happy.

Cross your bridges when you come to them.

Climb every mountain - in your dreams.

As far as I'm concerned, today's major excursion is popping out for five minutes to buy bananas from a supermarket.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer

No comments: