Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Straphangers, American Slang, French Graffiti, and Translating

Problem
What are straphangers?

Answer
People on the New York underground train, hanging onto straps provided to stop them falling when the train lurches to a halt.

This question was asked by people in other parts of the USA, UK and Australia. I was surprised that other Americans, or overseas visitors living in America - one cannot be sure, did not know the term. I've been to New York several times and lived in Rockville, Maryland. I assumed the term was well known all over the English speaking world.

It was obvious to me. Was it common sense? What hangs from a strap? I immediately get a vision of people hanging on. I'm sure I've seen straps as well as vertical poles and horizontal poles on trains all over the world.

When faced with a foreign word, you can sometimes find the meaning by looking at the context and working out which of several possibilities it could be. Like the old quiz game, Animal. Vegetable, or Mineral? Human or object? For what purpose? For whose benefit. Where is it? What does it help or prevent. Visualise the scene. How are the people standing or the objects placed? Is the strap hanger a person or an object.

Stories
A French Language Story - Set in Paris
Similarly with identifying graffiti in a foreign language. I was disappointed in my inability to translate graffiti when I went to Paris after a gap of three or four years. I though I spoke French fluently but the signs on walls made no sense. It turned out that most of the signs were political statements. Down with - followed by somebody's names. Or supporting a person or political party.

I also needed to know the slang terms for police. I tend to avoid learning rude words and slang words. However, it helps to know if you are listening to a belligerent conversation. If you think you are fluent in a foreign language, you might like to check out the current graffiti and slang terms before travelling.

Conclusion
Nice to know that citizens of Boston will rush to help a stranger in times of trouble.
If you want a city where the trains have sliding doors on most underground stations, try Singapore. (But the DLT with its gaps is not for the nervous, although the areas between the gaps for doors are blocked, which is one stage better than no barriers.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4524328/Woman-faints-Boston-subway-tracks.html#reader-comments

https://www.boston.gov/visiting-boston

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer. I have several other posts on American English and learning foreign languages. Please share your favourite posts.

No comments: