Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, May 29, 2017

Kiev Checklist Wishlist

Problem
 Here's a map of Kiev. Kiev is the capital of Ukraine. Ukraine was the birthplace of one of my ancestors on my late father's side. Do I want or need to see Kiev? If I go, what should I see?

Before I throw out all the brochures cluttering my house, I need to check what they tell me.

Answers
Old Kiev
Kiev is city of the Golden Domes. The landmarks include:

1 St Sophia cathedral
The gleaming figure of eight golden dome surrounded by at least six green domes with smaller gold domes on top. You can climb the b e l f r y. (Oops! I am sure I typed b e l f r y, not belly. It must be the spell checker.) Inside are twenty bells, one massive 13 ton bell. White walls and green domes.
Entry fee 70 UAH.
www.n.sophiakievska.org

Want something free? Most museums and parks are free, except for the Museum of Miniatures, the guided tour of the caves, and the medieval horseback fighting knights show.

2 St Michael's Monastery
St Michael is the patron saint of Kiev.
All gold domes a glitter topped by gold crosses. White columns with gold tops.  Courtyard contains wish fountain. Since entry is free, you might donate a coin and make a wish.
www.achrangel.kiev.ua

New and Modern Kiev

Kiev Cooking
Chicken Kiev. My favourite. Although I can buy it in Tesco supermarket in London, it would be interesting to try it in Kiev.

No comments: