Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, May 22, 2017

When Do You Celebrate Your Birthday When Travelling?

Problem
On Facebook I asked why so many people seem to have more than one birthday on Facebook. Is it me, my mistake? Are the years flying past? Or is it deliberate or accidental on their part? They can't all have dementia and have forgotten their own birthday. Are they avoiding their true birthday, trying to look younger, or to stop identify theft. Or are they trying to get two lots of presents and special offers from restaurants?

Answers
One possible answer came from the Chinese direction:

China and Chinese Birthday
"For Chinese people, this is not surprising. 
One which follows the familiar Gregorian calendar and the other following Traditional Chinese Calendar. Plus one more day on the Seventh Day of Chinese New Year."

I now have another question. How are birthdays celebrated around the world? How can you celebrate when travelling?

Stories
To prolong your birthday, fly West. The day is longer. 

USA flights
Flying within the USA, on a cheap flight, with two stopovers, at breakfast time I once had three breakfasts. I was offered five. I had one before leaving home. Then I was offered three in flight - one on each section of the journey. I ate the home breakfast and two in light but had enough when offered my fourth (the third in flight breakfast). 

Then we reached out hotel and were offered breakfast. I replied, "No thanks - I've already had three!" The receptionist looked confused, and wary. She was not sure whether I was being sarcastic, or completely mad. I explained about the multiple flights, all three on breakfast time.

Birthday In Flight Once, on my birthday, I was flying from the UK to the USA. I told a light attendant it was by birthday, which I proved by showing my passport. I asked if I could have a glass of Champagne, which was served only in first class. I was in economy. 

She apologised that she was not allowed to do that. But she wished me a very happy birthday and offered me with white wine and sparkling water. 

A few minutes she came back with a big grin. She had a Champagne miniature and a suitable glass which she gave to me, saying Happy Birthday. 

I wondered whether this was her secret surprise for me, or whether she had told everyone and they had all agreed I deserved a glass of bubbly.

A couple of hours later another flight attendant appeared, with congratulations and more Champagne.

Next time I fly on my birthday, I shall tell the flight attendants. Flying on my birthday is quite rare, I think I've only done it once, because mostly I have a dinner planned somewhere. I don't want to be rushing for a flight straight afterwards, nor flying in and risking delays making me miss my birthday.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6829070-o10-Birthday_cake-Air_Travel.html
http://www.birthdaycelebrations.net/vietnamesebirthdays.htm
http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/15/family-kicked-off-flight-by-security-after-row-with-cabin-crew-over-birthday-cake-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share posts.

No comments: