Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

More Americanisms: baby Daddy, badass, bible



Problem
The list of Americanisms is so long I get tired reading it. Interestingly, get tired and get tired of mean different things.

Answer
Start a second list of Americanisms. Here it is.

Americanism - British English (alphabetical)
baby Daddy - short for baby's Daddy, child's father
badass/career criminal - a baddie, tough, a toughie, intimidating, a villain with a bad attitude, a nasty piece of work, looking for a fight, up to no good, somebody you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night, a suspicious character, somebody you wouldn't trust further than you could throw him, one of the usual suspects
fix breakfast - make breakfast

British English - Americanism
baddie - badass
biological father - baby Daddy
make breakfast - fix breakfast

Biblical English
I like the King James bible because the quotations from it are popular and recognisable even if the English is old-fashioned.
Whither thou goest I will go ...

However, you can read a modern version:
NIVUK stands for New International Version UK.


An American Catholic version:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/

British English - Americanism

Many people find that variations on their home's version of English grates. ."They hate us because they ain't us."

However, the very fact that I am writing this post shows you that I am fascinated by different words in different languages.

My last translation from English to Americanism:
I have finished - I am done!
translate english to american english

Tips
I have written my favourite Americanisms, which I can use in speeches, in a notebook.
wiki americanisms\
 (Dictionaries of Americanisms include Bartletts's.

Useful Websites
https://www.bible.com/versions/113-nivuk-new-international-version-anglicized
Catholic

Author
Angela Lansbury, author, lived in Rockville, Maryland, USA, and North West London, England. English teacher and learner and teacher of languages.
Please share posts.

No comments: