Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, May 27, 2017

NEVER TOO LATE TO SKATE In London, England or Singapore

PROBLEM
I'd like to skate elegantly like Torville and Dean, winners of the skating championships. I'd love to do ice dancing. But I'm not tall and thin, don't possess a skating outfit, or ice skates.

ANSWER
You can take lessons and skate all year.

TIPS
ENGLAND and SCOTLAND
You can go the art galleries  or look on line for paintings of people skating on the River Thames during the Great Frost.

Do not skate on frozen ponds. Not in England or Scotland. Very dangerous. Remember Peter Pan, the boy who never grew up, inspired by James Barrie's older brother who fell through the ice and died. Barrie made his brother immortal in the popular pantomime and bequeathed the profits from the play to the Great Ormond Children's Hospital in London, England.

(I say London, England because I have many readers over in America and there's a London in Canada. I found that out when I moved from the USA to the UK and people forwarded my post to London and some of it reached me months later having first gone to Canada.)

Back to the subject of skating. All year you can skate, ice skate, in England at the Queens Ice Skating rink in London, England. They have a cafe. If you are just watching, you can sit under a nice warming blanket.

No experience? You can have individual or group lessons.

Not sure if ice skating is your thing? You can also try ice hockey and ice karting.

In winter ice skating rinks are set up in London outdoors. Not only fun for skaters. It's fun to watch.

You can visit the statue of Peter Pan and take a photo of it, or a selfie with it.

FINLAND
Brought up in England where parents and police warn people not to skate, I was alarmed when I went to Finland and found that companies hire out motor vehicles to take you on trips across the frozen ice. So if you want to go our on the ice, pick a country where the temperatures are really low and the activities are organised by adults who have experience and insurance.

SINGAPORE
Over in Singapore there's another kind of skating. People skate along the streets on the latest version of roller skates. Children have skating shoes. Adults invest in fold up versions of foot power scooters which I used as a toddler and small child to visit the shops in London in the 1900s.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. For pictures see my other posts on ice skating and indoor skiing. Please share links to posts.

No comments: