Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, May 14, 2017

YSL Handy Travel 'Lip Twin' Lipstick Update - and a Photography Tip

Problem
I lost a lipstick, and looked on line and now I see potential replacements. However, now I have found them, I don't know what to buy.

Answer
I noticed that my lipstick had an end label and took a photo. The print was too small to read but I was able to blow up the photo and could read the name, Lip Twins.

Having the correct name found me items to buy. When I typed Lip Twins into the internet I got results on both Amazon and Ebay.

No Brushes
The ones on ebay were cheaper. However they had no brushes. Why?

I seem to remember that I enquired once before. I think I phoned and asked why - where was the brush? The lipsticks without brushes were testers.

So maybe somebody no longer selling the product did not need the tester for customers and was selling it off. Or the item was discontinued. So no point in having a tester displayed.

YSL Website
I went onto the YSL website. However, they don't stock it.

Old Or New Internet Offers?
That leaves me with a question. Are the ones being sold as new, of new appearance and condition, unused, but literally past their sell by date? Maybe rancid?

Some reviewers say the product is dry and dries their lips. That could be because it is old.

Or it could be discontinued because customers didn't like the product. When travelling, you need to moisturise your lips, not make them drier.

Impractical?
I have to agree with one reviewer that the rotating part rotates by itself in your make up bag, then falls agains other projecting items and leaves lipstick, sticky stuff, all over the make up bag contents. Or gathers dust and fluff.

Is This Gadget Useless?
You don't get a lot of lipstick either. You get a more liquid gluey lipstick in a little tray. It has to be soft for application by the brush, I imagine. One other reviewer said the brush application took ages.

One reviewer commented that colours are not as bright as the regular lipstick. That may depend on which colour you order. On line, it's hard to tell if they only show the case and not the contents.

The idea of mixing the colours is amusing.

At least I have the old one - but not in the colours I want. £32 is a lot for a lipstick in my opinion.

Photography Tips
My internet research has tight me one interesting thing. You can photograph a cylindrical lipstick and maybe other items the same shape by standing it on the flat end, instead of trying to stop it rolling.

You can't do this with a rolling pin which has projecting ends, only one with flat ends. But it just shows, when taking photos, try to turn the item to balance on all sides.

What other lessons have I learned? Always remember to photograph all sides. Take a picture of labels, brands and expiry dates.

Angela Lansbury travel writer and photographer.

No comments: