Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, May 15, 2017

Recognising Greek Words and letters

Problem
I have trouble knowing if a word is Latin or Greek. Other people seem to be able to recognize Greek words instantly. And read them. Why is this?

Answer
Scientists recognize mathematical and scientific symbols. We use the Latin alphabet. Anything outside this alphabet used in scienic is Greek For example, an ohm is a horse shoe shape letter.

Rays are known by the first three letters of the Greek alphabet. Alpha rays. Beta rays. Gamma rays. Alpha, beta, gamma, delta.

The letters 'pi' and 'theta' are used.

In algebra sigma, like a letter E, is sum, or summation.

Tips
Years ago I tried printing out the Russian and Greek and Hebrew alphabets and displaying them on the walls. I 'd read that somebody did this for his children. I think it was Gilbreth the motion study expert who I read about in the humorous book Cheaper By The Dozen, which was later made into a film.

I did not have a lot of luck with my printed alphabets. I never learned the whole lot. However I have now printed out a small version to tape inside the back of a diary or notebook. By looking at it for a few seconds at least one day a week for a year, wherein I am sitting on a train, I hope to eventually know every letter.

Learning the alphabet is a good thing to do on a plane or a train. Reading down the alphabet is quite short. You are less likely to go past your stop.
http://www.rapidtables.com/math/symbols/greek_alphabet.htm
http://www.rapidtables.com/math/symbols/Basic_Math_Symbols.htm

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker, teacher of English and learner and teacher of other languages. Please share links to my posts. 

No comments: