Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, June 3, 2019

The 40 Most Beautiful Actresses Pre-1960 (my preferences) - and characters



I love this compilation of old films. If you pick your dates carefully, you can choose out of copyright pictures and films.

Nostalgia from the old days.

My favourites: Marilyn Monroe, always first in the list and first in my mind. I really like Lauren Bacall. So sultry.

As the saying goes, the past is another country. L P Hartley wrote that, I believe.

You can now save films on Singapore Airlines to watch the endings later or see your favourites again.

If you were to take actresses with character, you could compile a totally different but equally mesmerising list. My favourites would start with: Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Ursula Andress, Bette Davis, Liz Taylor, Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart - play it again, Sam or Singapore Airlines.

What about older women, or the same women when they grew older? Who is my favourite?

The Ladykillers
The little old lady whose name I always forget who appears in the classic comedy, The Ladykillers, with Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers. She never made another film. But one is enough to put her on my list. I hope one day to grow gracefully old, appear in my final film, to play a character and to be in real life as seemingly innocent yet disarmingly smart as she was.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please save links to your favourite films.

No comments: