Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Daily Dose of Bulgarian Words - goodbye and thank you


I am picking a word or two of Bulgarian every day. Easy peasy. I asked the guide on my free walking tour of Sofia, capital of Bulgaria, for a couple of easy to remember words which were the same in English.

Instead he gave me mersi (merci) for thank you, which is French, and also used in Romania, as we learned on our trip to Romania's capital, Bucharest.

Another easy to remember word is Ciaou, Italian for goodbye, which is used and recognized in Sofia, capital of Bulgaria.

English - Bulgarian
goodbye - ciaou
thank you - mersi

Bulgarian - English
ciaou - goodbye
mersi - thank you

Now I can say goodbye and thank you when leaving a shop or asking the way:
Mersi, ciaou!


Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, teacher of English and other languages. 

No comments: