Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Three Blind Mice and other Amazing Animals in the National Museum of Natural History in Sofia, capital of Bulgaria


The flag of Bulgaria superimposed on a map of the country. The capital is Sofia, where I stayed. 

The National Museum of Natural History. Photo from Wikipedia.


On the ground floor is the gallery with the minerals which I was not expecting to enjoy but I loved it. The colours were wonderful, green, purple, blue, pink. The shapes were astonishing. Little table tennis balls showed the DNA patterns. At the entrance was a giant stone, only knee high, but, on a table, it was waist high.

You have four floors to see. We started at the top.

The brown bear was alarming large. A horrid hippo, too, like a tank, was not something you would want to meet at night.

I admired the beautiful blue butterfly.

I photographed the starfish for my motivational talk about throwing back the starfish - 'made a difference to that one'.

Finally, the blindmouse. As a child I had heard the nursery rhyme about the three blind mice. I never realised there was such a creature as a blind mouse, with the official name of Blindmouse.
Photos will be added later.

Next door is the Russian Church with a wonderful gold roof. Free to enter. Tiny inside. Kiosk sells silver neck chains.

Useful Websites
http://www.nmnhs.com/

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: