Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 7, 2019

Instant Translator? Bulgarian, Hebrew, Tagalog and many more languages

I looked today at an ad for an instant traslator. A promotion came up for Muama Enence. 40 languages including Bulgarian and I am planning a trip to Bulgaria.

Years ago I bought a translator. I did only 6 languages, one being English for translating back from the other languages.

There were three problems.

It did not cover the countries I needed next in those days, Greek for Greece, Mandarin and Cantonese and Hokkien and Singlish for Singapore, Romanian.

I forgot to put it in my suitcase, forgot where I had stored it and went without it.

It was too bulky to carry on a day trip.

That was back then. What about now?

We have Google translate. However, that requires you to type. Unless you can use Siri or a language device on your phone.

So, what of the instant translator? it has numerous languages and the battery lasts four days. I could keep it in my bag or carry it in my pocket.

The current model is around 80 dollars which is more than I want to pay. However, if you need Tagalog or any other device, read reviews, take a look and compare prices.

On Amazon I found a range of prices. Presumably if you are constantly on business and really need it, it counts as a business expense or you can pay for it out of petty cash.

In a family or group, one would be enough, dividing the cost between several of you, to stop your minibus and ask the way, order for everybody in a restaurant.

I asked my friends on Facebook:
Does it really work?
Can I get it cheaper?

The reviews I read were good. Several users pointed out that you could use it to learn a langage. Even if you know the local language, or you are travelling in your home country or one where English is wifdely spoken, you can also use it to chat to anybody, such as the person beside you on a bus.

In Singapore on buses I often want to ask, "Is this the right stop for ...?"

On Amazon the cheapest was about 60 dollars plus about 17 dollars delivery to the UK. I wasn't in the UK when I looked online but my system was set to a UK address.

Useful Websites
https://enence.com/translator/product/
https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Foreign-Language-Translators/b?ie=UTF8&node=290461

Author
Angela Lansbury
Travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: