Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, August 5, 2022

Union Jack Dress

 

Angela Lansbury wearing a Union Jack Tunic with sequin pattern on front. Selfie photo by Angela Lansbury.
 

The Union Jack top or tunic in sequins was in the centre of the shop at the front. It was eye catching. I had to have it.

Selecting Sequins

First, I felt the fabric. I had had a disaster with a red sequin top I bought cheaply in the same shop. I thought it would be fun for the last night gala farewell at my writer's conference. 

My husband hates sequins. He is a conservative. Like Prince Charles. He does not want to be outshone by his wife. Gaudy. Unsuitable. 

He won't be there. My chance to shine. Literally.

I like sequins. It was cheap I bought it. In a hurry. Didn't even try it on.

Sequin Failure

However, when I got the top home and tried it on, I found the sequins were large and sharp edged and uncomfortable. I thought they would tear any item I wore underneath on top. Not to mention my own skin.

Label

The label is Fever. The symbol is a red heart with a diagonal arrow through it pointing North west to south east. The size is S for small. Washing instruction are do not wash. Dyes may not be colourfast. 

The back is plain blue and stretchy. The sequinned front has a thin blue lining. 

Sequin Success

But the sequins in my Union Jack outfit were small and soft, flexible. Bright but not overwhelming.

Union Jack Pattern

The outfit carried a message. I am British. Ideal for when I am the language evaluator at a Toastmasters International meeting.

Size & Style

I bought this in St Luke's charity shop. Their trying on cubicle was open. You could try on three garments. 

I tried it on. Success It was tight. (And Light.) It fitted. Sideways on, it made me look slim.

Price Point Rationale In Second Hand Shops 

It was seven pounds. Why so much?

Later I heard another customer ask the assistant, "Are the items on this rail cheaper?"

The assistant replied, "If an item isn't selling, we reduce the price."

Useful Websites

Facebook Fever London Clothing 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Womens-Fever-London-Clothing/15724/bn_90965867Websites

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-Union-Britannia-Costume-Sequin/dp/B01N155E4G/ref=asc_df_B01N155E4G/?tag=googshopuk-21&

Please share links to your favourite posts


No comments: