Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Preparing For Car Journeys - Windscreens and direction screens and Satnav

 

Windscreen Cleaner. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Windscreen A windscreen cleaner. In some countries, a person will come out and clean your windows. This happened at garages when we stopped for petrol in Cyprus. You need to know whether it is free or whether you are expected to give a cash tip. Ask local drivers.

In the UK this does not happen. So I bought a cheap windscreen cleaner. You need to dampen it before your journey.   If you use it, you may wish to wash out the insects and dry the windscreen cleaner later.

Wiper Lever
If you have not driven for a while, check which side is the hand lever for the windscreen wipers, and which side is your signal for left and right. I was using both in my haste to signal when changing lanes on UK motorways. Not good as you risk scratching your windscreen with the wipers.

Oddly, the lever for signalling turning left, and right, is on the right hand side of my (right hand drive wheel) in the UK. The windscreen wipers in a Renault Clio are on the left.

Side for Filling Up
The petrol cap is on the driver's side in my car,  so I look for a free space on the right so I can pull up with the petrol cap near the petrol dispenser.
On your car dashboard, there should be a symbol showing on which side of the car to find the petrol cap.

I had already checked where it was, how to pull open the cover, and that I could turn the cap. Under the cover it tells me which petrol to buy.  A choice of two. I opt for the cheaper as my husband says that is good enough.

I remember our first trip abroad together in a hire car. We stopped in pouring rain on the motorway and could not find how to open the boot. (Americans say trunk.)

Now we are well prepared, we think.

SatNav
I had set my satnav with the help of my husband to show the way to my destination and home. I had a TomTom, which is a brand of satnav (which is nowadays in 2022 a generic term in the UK.) I am explaining that because my friend from Singapore asked me why I called it a TomTom.

Directions
On the way to Swanwick, Derbyshire, I had in my mind Junction 28, but not place names.
Luckily, on the way there, I knew from previous journeys that junction 27 would be Derby and 28 would also be Derby. 

On the way back to London from up north, I could not get either the TomTom or the radio - although I turned on the volume control on the dashboard and the hand-held device set to menu. 

Luckily I had a passenger who set her phone to deliver directions with a spoken guide. It told me when to get in lane ready to turn right at the lights, or for the third exit from a roundabout, or onto the left lane for the slip road exit. Very helpful, because sometimes the junction was not marked, only the name. 

Afterwards,  I was still confused by exit signs to Alfreton, and other small places on route. However, once when we went the wrong way, the new route took us to an easier turn.

Goodbye
The current UK goodbye message is, "Have a safe journey!"

Please share links to your favourite posts with your friends.

No comments: