Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, October 21, 2022

The Tanglin Club's Tea-time Cheesecake, Musical Chairs and Two Chefs

Chocolate Banana Cake and Black Forest cake at the Tnaglin Club. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

I have had lunch twice in the last two months with my long-standing friend, close friend, Caroline. Both of us have relatives who are members. 

On the most recent occasion when we both visited the Tanglin, when The Tavern restaurant closed at the end of lunch time, we had to move. Where next?

It was tempting to go into the lounge for coffee. Dentists warn that you should not snack all day, but give your teeth a break from food so your saliva can clear up. If you can clean your teeth after a meal to prevent the build-up of plaque, so much the better. 

Caroline had a business meeting and had to disappear onto the outdoors front terrace because the use of mobile phones and laptops is forbidden in several areas of the club, including the lobby. 

Tanglin Club lobby. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Despite, my memory of the dentist's warning, I decided to go to the lounge. But the lounge tables were all full. 

The Rest Room Flowers

So I took fancy photo in the lovely Ladies toilet. Americans say restroom, and if you want to rest, it does have a chaise longue (French for long chair) in the mirror and power room area. The Ladies has flowers by the mirrors in the entry room.

Angela by flowers in the Tanglin Club Ladies toilets. Selfie. Copyright Angela Lansbury.


The Lobby Flowers

Then I took a photo of myself with the lobby flowers. I considered going to the library and sitting at the online screen. However, I decided to sit in the lobby where I could watch my friend to see when she finished her online meeting.

How quickly an hour can pass. From three o'clock to four o'clock.  Time for tea. Tea for two.

We returned to the tea lounge where we had a choice of vacant tables. The window area overlooking the pool has an away from the world table in corner. Another table, even more secluded, for private whispered conversations, or noisy laughter where you won't annoy others, is in an alcove, hidden behind a big barrier wall, beyond the attractive, glassed, walk-in wine bottle shop with bottle and barrels.

Air Con

We tried the seats at both window tables. Both suffered from the same problem. A howling gale from the air conditioning overhead. We were chilled in one minute. I had worn a scarf to protect myself in case anywhere in the club was chilly. But the combination of window and air con was too much for me. And for Caroline. 

Musical Chairs

So we went back to the public area, to a table in front of the deli area serving cake. The advantage is that you can hail the waiter or manager to give an order. Despite the walked through area the other side which can be distracting. However, having passers-by gives the faint possibility that somebody you know might pass.

Nobody we knew passed. The attention getting people who passed were two chefs with their grand and distinctive tall, pleated white hats. 

Chefs in the tea lounge at the Tanglin Club, Singapore. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Two Chefs

What were the chefs delivering? I did not see. But later I learned that when we ordered a pint of pink watermelon juice, it was not made in the lounge but by the chefs in the Tavern kitchen.

We had had the same at lunch. I thought I would try starfruit for a change. But that was unavailable.  Back to watermelon juice.



What to eat - scones or cheesecake?

The scones are cheaper than the cakes. But no cream or strawberry jam. 

Takeaway Teatime Treats

On a previous occasion when my husband visited the club to take photos of historic presidents for his book on the history of Singapore's then Singapore-Malaya railway, I asked him to bring home a scone. We added our own whipped cream from a can and Bonne Maman jam from a jam jar.

You need to heat the scones and add butter so that the butter melts. Salted butter is best. But my husband buys all purpose unsalted butter so it can be used in both sweet and savoury recipes and so he knows how much salt to add since he has control over added salt.



We opted for American cheesecake.

That strawberry on top looks like a refreshing fruit. No. It's a cleverly disguised piece of praline, or something similar.

I had previously preferred the Starbucks crumbly New York Cheesecake. But Caroline loved the creamy cheesecake. And the crunchy biscuit base. Her enthusiasm was infectious. Yes, I agreed. I was pretty good.

Useful Websites

https://www.tanglinclub.org.sg/dining/terrace-bistro-bar.html

No comments: