Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Bubble tea - what is it? Good or bad? An experience - and a souvenir!

 I tried bubble tea for the first time. I'd heard of it, but never tried it. I don't drink tea I am a coffee drinker. But bubble tea is something else. Bubble tea is more like a cocktail, like a milkshake.

The tea itself is coloured and comes in a transparent container so you can see the colour. At the bottom are the bubbles, which are globules of tapioca. Chewy.

Angela holding the transparent cup with the globules in the base and the wide red straw. Photo by Angela Lansbury.


You drink it though a wide straw.

It would be easy to become hooked. If you have any sort of weight problem, don't start, don't continue.

Bubble tea is big in Taiwan, Singapore, all over Asia, but also increasingly in the UK and USA and worldwide. 

I had bubble tea for the first time in February 2023 at the Toastmasters International speech contest for Division S areas, at the interval. The tall transparent 'glasses' were different colours. However, the names of the contents were written in labels stuck on the sides. 

I chose something which seemed to have a fruity flavour. A faint fruity taste. Then something chewy, like gum, like jelly, like gelatine. I wasn't sure if I liked it. 

You cannot eat or drink on the Singapore MRT. So I hid it away in a secure padded bag. I always carry a padded bag for such an event where I might carry something such as a bottle of water or drink. I don't want to spill on my papers, nor my dress, nor the ground, nor somebody else's property. 

When I got home, I finished it. By now I was used to it. I quite liked it. I could easily get to really like it.




I saved the straw. Use it again. To save filling up landfill. To bypass your white teeth with staining liquids. To reach the bottom of a long glass without tipping the drink down your front and wetting or staining your clothes, or getting your nose in the drink nor o the container which spreads germs. To add fun. To add colour.

Useful Websites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Please save and share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: