Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, February 24, 2023

Easy languages Italian

 Italian, like Spanish and Swedish, is an easy language if your first or second language is English or you learned Latin at school. Yesterday I went to an Italian restaurant, so I looked at their menu, started translating and listing the Italian words, then decided to switch from learning Spanish on Duolingo back to learning Italian, for the day. This morning on my way to exercise (swimming) I turned on the mobile phone whilst waiting for the lift and up popped the Italian, so I did another exercise. Back at my desk, after breakfast, I was too tired and lazy to start work, so I did another Italian exercise. Here are the good and confusing words I round.



Easy Italian - English

cavallo - horse (like the English word cavalry)

con - with (the same as Latin)

cugino - cousin - both Italian and English words contain the letters c, o, u, i, n. Just swap the g for an s)

fratello - brother (like fraternal, fraternity, o is masculine)

Io - I

mio - my (The Italian is pronounced like me -oh)

nome - name (the consonants n and me are the same and the last vowel e is the same.  We use no in nomenclature.

o - or (same letter starts both)

nonna - granny - often called nan or nanny in English

sinistra - left (the origin of our English word sinister)

sorella - sister (starts with the letter s, similar to sorority, a is feminine

strada - street (starts with the same three letters)

telefono - telephone

treno - train

verde - green (like the English word verdant)


English - Easy Italian 

brother - fratello (like fraternal, fraternity, o is masculine)

cousin - cugino  -  both Italian and English words contain the letters c, o, u, i, n. Just swap the g for an s)

granny - nonna often called nan or nanny in English

green  - verde (like the English word verdant)

horse - cavallo (like the English word cavalry) - cavallo  

I - Io

left - sinistra

my - mio (The Italian is pronounced like me -oh)

name - nome - (the consonants n and me are the same and the last vowel e is the same.  We use no in nomenclature.

or - o (same letter starts both)

sister - sorella  (starts with the letter s, similar to sorority, a is feminine

street - strada

telephone - telefono

train - treno

with - con (the same as Latin)

Useful Websites

duolingo.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_language

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Italian_phrasebook

Goodbye and thank you = arrivederci e grazie

Please bookmark and share links to your favourite posts with your favourite friends

Aggiungi segnalibri e condividi i link ai tuoi post preferiti con i tuoi amici preferiti

No comments: