Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, March 2, 2023

A Travel Jacket With Handy Pockets

 


Angela Lansbury wearing navy waistcoat or gilet. Photo by Trevor Sharot.


Angela wearing navy gilet at Toastmasters International, Singapore, speech contest. Photo by bystander.

Wearing amd matching waistcoats

You can  see the dark navy gilet on my right shoulder. Your gilet or waistcoat has to be short enough to hide under the hem of your jacket, or the jacket must be long enough to cover the gilet. 

Waistcoat Styles And Colours

Traditionally, a man's suit consisted of a waistcoat which ended at the waist and had two outside pockets ending at the hem, whilst the jacket was longer. I have a waistcoat which has to be worn on every journey with every outfit.

This is the jacket which I wear daily, so as not to keep moving items from one garment to another. I have previously lost my UK train pass and my Singapore NRIC because I changed jackets or changed bags.

Securing Pockets

I have several traditional waistcoats inherited from my uncle, but the pockets have no zips. Not safe for doorkeys, credit cards, lipsticks or anything of value. The pockets are small, just large enough for a small hanky (tissue) or business card or credit card or lipstick. But I still need to find a tiny zip or to sew on press studs.

Gilet

What is a gilet? A French word for what the British call a waistcoat and what the Americans call a vest. 

 I thought my gilet came from Patra, but they made the light, silk, navy hooded jacket. My lightweight, navy gilet is from LA men's Collection KOYO.  

Patra

Patra in the UK sell clothes in silk, bamboo, cotton and mixtures. Lots of lightweight clothes.

Koyo

I found them on Facebook.

Advantages of Jackets With Pockets

Why am I wearing a man's gilet? I think I bought it from a shop in Cambridge, England. I recall thinking it was expensive. I went away. I walked all around the city, in and out of many shops. I saw lots of souvenirs and garments which I did not want. I went back to the shop. 

A lightweight jacket with pockets is always handy. You can have your travel pass or bus or train ticket in the top chest pockets or the lower waist height and handy hand height pocket. You can keep valuables such as credit cards on you for quick payment. You can keep a small passport or national identity card on you. That way you find it quicker at check points. If you leap out of a plane or coach in an emergency or breakdown and are told to leave your luggage behind you still have your identity card, credit card, or door key with you. If your handbag is stolen or falls, you still have your vital documents. If you need a  pen and paper or tiny notebook, it is to hand.

your paper hanky (tissues) or toilet paper are nearby why you wash your hands, not on a hook.

Male Jackets?

Why buy a male jacket? They don't seem to make jackets with multiple pockets for ladies. Well, except for cooks, waitresses and restaurant staff, gardeners, and skiers.  There  is much more choice of styles, colours and weights if you look for the words photographer, fisherman, sports. Pilots. Pockets!

Disadvantages Of Men's Clothes

Men's clothes may be in huge sizes. The jacket might be too heavy. It is clumsy. The cut is loose. It is wrong, with no waist, no room for a big bust. Not smart if you are travelling to a hotel or restaurant on public transport.

Pink Ladies Waistcoat

Shein in Feb 2023 had a ladies waistcoat worn with nothing under it, tight fitting, bright colour. Only 10 Singapore dollars (plus postage). I put the picture on my Pinterest page.

Navy Gilet (Waistcoat)

Red Cape blazer

Be Jealous

Useful Websites

Amazon

Ebay

KOYO

https://www.facebook.com/koyoclothing/

Patra

https://blog.patra.com/tag/gilets/

Shein

https://sg.shein.com/Solid-Button-Front-Waistcoat-p-11223300-cat-1739.html?skucode=I52lu1

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: