Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Singapore Story Survey



This survey paid participants 25 dollars. Payment was an added incentive. Some, first felt motivated by the desire to express themselves and know themselves by writing. Others looked forward to the fame, the joy of seeing oneself published, memories made immortal.

What kind of questions were asked? I asked on Facebook and received these answers>

1 Life in early Singapore for 

school going children, 

2 Early adult life, 

3 What made me proud of Singapore, 

4 What disturbed me etc - 

These were questions analysed and discussed.


I was not eligible. Firstly, my age group quota was filled.  Secondly, more importantly, they were only interested in Singaporeans.

Obviously, a book about Singapore, funded by the government, is more inclined to favour positive stories. Unless the contrast is with the bad things of the past and how much life has improved. 

There are good reasons for a positive spin. Although negatives are useful feedback on things to improve, many readers would hope to find a book uplifting. 

I shall now try to quickly answer these questions myself. My answers may enlighten you about Singapore present and past.


Childhood

 I cannot claim to have spent childhood or teens in Singapore. However, I can contrast the education in Singapore with that in the UK (and USA, where my son went to school).

What contrasts did I experience?

Language - Singlish

The government tried to promote English as a common language. To prevent the Indians and Malays and Chinese being isolated from each other and hostile.

Kiasu Cars On Roads

Get ahead. Driving. People overtaking your car and pulling in front.

That happens less nowadays. So rarely do you have a clear road. You are in lines of parallel traffic!

HDB Lifts

Lifts stopped at every 4th floor. To get to my friend's flat in Spottiswoode Park, or an office in Waterloo Street, you would need to take the lift to the floor above and walk down a level.

The crowded city. 

Doors

People used to let doors fly back in your face. As one working class Brit in the UK told me proudly, "In England we are so polite. When we come to a door, we hold it open and say, 'after you'.

Americans are very helpful. If they are empty handed and you have two bags they instantly offer to carry one. A Singaporean has a maid to carry things. They are delighted to help if asked. But would not think of offering.

Chopsticks

I mastered chopsticks.  I was surprised to learn that a Singaporean, born in Hong Kong, was nervous about Western restaurants because he was confused by Western cutlery. So I gave a talk about it to a Toastmasters International club, Braddell Heights Advanced.

Please and Thank You, Yes, No

In Chinese (Mandaarin) sentences are constructed differently. This leads to many confusions.

Off the light does not mean carry off the table lamp but turn off the light using the switch on the wall by the door.

I am having an off day does not mean I am having a bad day. It means this is my day off.

Bring and take may be confused. The same word is used for both in Chinese.

He, she and it and the same word, ta, in Chinese. When the MC announces, 'He will speak,' the mc means you will speak if you are a woman. An English speaker is expecting to hear she will speak.

How has Singapore changed and improved?

New stations are being built all the time. The same as London. 

Art all over the city. Murals. Statues. Decorations on walls of stations. 

Brand new underground stations (MRT). Best of all trains run on time with no delays. Glass doors, designed to assist air conditioning, have the bonus of preventing litter, suicides, and accidents, and murders (which happen in New York when nutty strangers push random people onto the lines). 

Safe Singapore

At first I was scared of a country which caned hooligans and violent criminals and executed drug dealers and murderers. Now I feel safe. 

British English is used. However, many Singaporean young people have learned English in the USA or from series such as Friends. So they have American accents.



No comments: