Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Stomach bugs from holiday - could it be nonovirus or shigella - how to tell

My husband rturned from Indonesia to Singapore with a sore throat. I often get a sore throat from lack of sleep.

But what about stomach bugs? I have had them travelling to India and Asian countries.



Over in the USA children have been struck down by two kinds of stomach bug.

Nonovirus is a virus, which means there is not treatment. Just rest. Bland food.

Shigella is caused by bacteria which can be treated with antibiotics, meaning anti living things.


Which do you have? One of the questions which doctors will ask is, when did this start?

I read the article in the Daily Mail about shigella and nonovirus and the first time I read it quickly, I got to the end and could not remember which was which. The second time I started looking at the letters and be the end I was clear. Here is what I did.

You can use the letters in the names to remember the symptoms.

Nonovirus

Nonovirus, v for virus. It says virus in the name. 

Non-o-virus - what can I remember from the first three letters, non-o-virus lasts not so long. One to three days.

Shigella

Shigella - shigell-a bacteri-a. Bacteria, biological, living thing, lives longer. Can be treated by antibiotics. Last how long? Up to a week.

 

Useful Websites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11863889/How-tell-difference-shigella-norovirus-stomach-flus-rise.html

Please bookmark your favourite posts and share the links.

No comments: