Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, March 31, 2023

Americanisms such as dish soap - and British words such as elevenses

We just moved the UK clocks forward on the last Sunday in March, at 2 am. The Americans and people all over the world, those who have a summer time clock, and that's not everybody, change clocks on different days.

The popular memory aid is Spring forward, Fall back.

The Americans use the word Fall where the Brits would say autumn. But fall back is a phrase we would use.

Every day when I read the mail online I see Americanisms. When I don't notice Americanisms, I read comments in which British readrs ask for an explanation - or express outrage. Here are a few which have puzzled or confused me and others in the past.




Americanism - British English

after (as in a quarter after) - past (as in a quarter past)

elementary school - primary school

cookies - biscuits

dish soap - washing up liquid

Fall - autumn

Ground beef - minced meat 

hack - tip/trick

make a left - turn left

my bad - my mistake

over easy (eggs) - cooked both sides

parking lot - car park

semester - term

Shopping cart - shopping trolley

spring break - Easter holiday/school holidays

take out - take away

vacation - holiday



British English - Americanisms

autumn - Fall

biscuits - cookies

break - half term

brolly - umbrella

car park - parking lot

Easter holiday - spring break

elevenses - mid morning break

fresher - freshman 

holiday - vacation

minced meat  - ground beef

my mistake - my bad

past (as in a quarter past - after (as in a quarter after

primary school - elementary school 

shopping trolley - Shopping cart

take away - take out

tip/trick - hack

turn left - make a left

washing up liquid - dish soap

No comments: