Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Why buy or pack a Sarong - shawl or beach wrap - a handy travel item

 

Angela Lansbury wearing a tube sarong from Indonesia. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

The sarong above is a tube sarong, tied on my right at waist level.

I find a large lightweight shawl is handy to stuff in a tote bag when travelling. You can wear it as a shawl in cold, air conditioning in a restaurant in the evening. Use it to cover up shorts. Cover cleavage. Weare in a temple. Fold into a pillow. Keep off insects. Cover against too much sun.

What is the difference between a sarong and a kebaya? A sarong sounds simpler, like a large sash, or something loose you wind around yourself, like a shorter version of a saree. A large beach scarf? Close in meaning. 

Singaporean Kabayas 

In Singapore you can see and buy fitted dresses or matching bodices and skirts called kebayas. Sometimes also called sarong kebayas. The Singapore Airlines air hostesses wear kebayas.

Indonesian Sarongs

In Indonesia the temples ask men and women who arrive in shorts to cover their legs. At the outside entrance to the temples and sellers of sarongs. A sarong is seamed up vertically, called a tube sarong, so it cannot come apart revealing your legs. Unlike a wrap skirt.

The cost is quite modest. 

My husband brought his home for me and gave it to me later as a birthday present.

My first thought was to use the cloth as a tablecloth. That would involve undoing the seam. You could make a long oblong tablecloth. Or a square tablecloth with matching napkins. Or a tablecloth with a spare runner to use midweek with table mats to add a bit of glamour or elegance without having to keep washing and risking staining the full size tablecloth. Or a cloth with a matching cover for a side table next to a nearby sofa.

My husband said, "No. It's a present for you. Make a dress out of it."

Fabric Patterns

The pattern might be repeated. 

My husband bought one in brown effect. I prefer lively red colour clothing to boring brown. 

I prefer curves to geometrics. Less rigid. No sharp points. More restful. 

Curves are more practical. Curbes and waves are less likely to show that your bust or shoulders are not horizontal. No need to keep pulling the verticals and horizontals straight for photos.

 I asked, "What was the choice of patterns? I suppose you would not have wanted to wear pink? Did you choose this one because the brown looked more masculine?" 

He answered, 'It was the best option of the patterns available. The others were worse." 

Shortly after his return home, he gave it to me as a birthday present. It was the best present ever - at least for a long time. 

Why? Because I like something to wear. Also, it taught me about sarongs.

How Indonesian Men Wear Sarongs

The Indonesian men wear sarongs, not by tying them, but by overlapping them. How? 

My husband said, "I have to tie a knot. Otherwise, after a few paces it comes undone. They are better at it. Let me show you what they do.

"Start by lifting it over your head and wearing it with the top at waist level and the hem at ankle level. Holding.it out with your right hand, fold it across your front with one vertical crease or fold on your right side. Fold the top at your waist down over the outside several times into a roll and tuck it in, with the hem at a suitable level, long enough to cover your legs and ankles, not so long that you trip over it when walking.

Simple Halter Neck Dress

For the beach you can make a skirt or a halter neck dress. I prefer something which covers me up.

Create A Quick Caftan

My first thought was a quick same day fix. I could simply cut a slit for the neck to make a quick caftan. Oversew the neck slit edge, and seam it, or edge with a thin ribbon or bias binding. 

Add Tabard Ties

Tie the sides with ribbon, like a tabard. Wear it over a white long white tee-shirt which covers the hips to avoid the nuisance of having to seam up the tabard sides.

Make A Long One Piece Dress

My second thoughts were to make a dress. 

My husband said, "You can pull it up over the bust." 

Yes. 

Make A Long Two Piece Dress

I replied, "I can cut the overhand off the right. You can use that piece for a matching top.

"Or just a matching scarf . I can wear the scarf over a white tee-shirt to match the long skirt.


Useful Websites

Videos of tying sarongs

https://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Sarong

General Info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong

Sarongs to buy

https://www.carousell.sg/p/kain-batik-halus-tiga-setangkai-sarong-1111219512/?t-id=eAVctBDsKG_1678948409752&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_context=category_slp&t-referrer_request_id=YAGFnPjBT-VOxP1k&t-referrer_search_query=sarong&t-referrer_source=search_landing&t-tap_index=17

Hot pink and other colors with tassel edge - picture on their website and my Pinterest  page Angela Lansbury Dress Of The Day

https://sg.shein.com/Tassel-Knot-Side-Cover-Up-Skirt-p-10603728-cat-2174

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: