Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Enjoy An Evening In Tropical Singapore, Palm Trees And Floodlit Swimming

Singapore flag.
Problem
Was it too late to swim? Seven o'clock in the evening the sky outside was getting dark and the rooms inside were getting dark to need lights turned on. Eight o'clock it was dark outside. Was it a good idea to go swimming?

Answers
However, I could hear the sound of children laughing, probably in the pool, as well as tennis balls going back and forth, which meant floodlighting was on.

I went out onto the balcony. Children and adults were swimming. I do not like to swim alone in the pool at night, nor in the day.

I went down stairs. The paths were intermittently dark, but I'd heard no reports of snakes or animals recently. Once a trio of monkeys had got in. But after three days of excitement (and one badly damaged flat) the monkeys were captured and returned to their habitat in the forest near the reservoir where all the signs warm you not to feed them.

A lady is walking a quiet dog under the trees. Instead of tiptoeing, I walk I walk along the path loudly, to frighten off monsters and fear.

Most of the night-time revellers are gathered around the barbecue pits. On their side of the pool, the air is smokey, not the fresh air I had expected. If I were a vegan I would find the acrid smell offensive. I decide not to do the crawl, which requires deep, open-mouth breathing.
Swimming Pool in condo in Singapore. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

The Swimming Pool
The pool water is surprisingly cold, compared to daytime when the pool is warmed by the hot sun all year, no need for pool heating. I tell myself that cool water is refreshing after the hot day. However, after the initial shock, I soon get used to it the cool of the water in the evening.

I am glad to have the opportunity of a swim today. In the afternoon we had the usual downpour, but worse. I carry a small roll-up umbrella. If two of you share the shelter of the umbrella, to share the protection, and enjoy mutual conversation, companionably, both of you get wet.

Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: