Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Red Ornamental Pineapple For you To See or Grow or Eat

Problem
Can I walk past this red pineapple without stopping to take a photo?

Answer
As you see, the answer is no. I tried and failed. I walked past it - then walked back. Great.

I took this photo in Singapore, in May 2018.

I looked it up. It's not a younger version of the one you get in the shops to eat. It's a smaller, ornamental pineapple. You can eat it. However, sellers to supermarkets usually go for the bigger pineapples.

A New Zealand couple have started growing the red pineapple as a fruit to sell commercially. If they succeed, you will be able to buy red pineapples, their juice, a liqueur. Eat them fresh, fry them, add them to pizzas as a topping to counteract greasy meat, or dry them.

If you are living in Australia, order from Daleys who give tips:
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: