Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Facial Recognition At Singapore Airport - Yes, Please!


An artist's impression of the new Changi terminal.

Problem
I am always scared of missing my flight.

Answer
The best thing about facial recognition at airports is that they'll be able to find you as you hobble along the airport corridors in search of the elusive gate 99, after a long-legged relative, who has disappeared doing a four-minute mile, while you are dragging your wheelie bag which has four disobedient wheels all trying to make you go in the wrong direction.

If it's not you, they can find somebody else who had checked in their bag and then gone AWOL, delaying the flight because the suspicious-looking unaccompanied baggage has to be removed.

I hope it works. The fingerprint recognition doesn't work for me.

What I don't want is the facial recognition to refuse to recognize me. I shall be frowning, wondering, surely I haven't aged that much?

As for the accusations of Big Brother watching you, like the government in Goerge Orwell's visiton of the future in his novel 1984 - I wish Big Brother would look after me at the airport. They can find me a trolley, And send me to the right place. And get me to the flight on time.

Do you remember the song with the words, get me to the church on time? For me, life's main problem is getting to the flight on time. If facial reconition helps, yes please.

Useful Websites
The story:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43962881

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: