Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, May 26, 2018

My Medical Emergency - why insurance is essential


Map of Corsica from Wikipedia showing Corsica's capital, Ajaccio, on the west coast of the island.

Ajaccio has the hospital where I was flown.


Problems
On a press trip in 1984 I was hit by a car, crossing the road in Corsica. I was on a press trip for Brides Magazine, and we were on our way home to the airport, but the coach broke down. We were asked to leave all our luggage including our cameras on the coach and cross over to a nearby hotel to await a replacement coach. 

I do not recall the impact. I was unconscious. I had multiple injuries, head, ribs, calf. I had to be flown by a helicopter to the hospital. 

I was bandaged up with my right arm against my body. I could not lift my arms nor my head.

Language Problems
I had trouble talking to the lady in the next bed. I assumed she did not understand my French accent. I tried bonjour, which is French, then Buona sera, Italian.

Later I asked a friendly male nurse, who spoke French, if he could speak to the woman in Conrsican. He explained, in French, 'the patient cannot speak because she has had an operation on her jaw'.

I later demanded to see and receive my possessions, my bag and clothes and shoes. Somebody brought my sandals. One sandal was in two pieces.

The PR went home with the group. My husband had to cancel last night at the proms and fly out. 

It took several days in high season to find five seats on a plane to get me home on a stretcher, three seat spaces for a stretcher, one for my husband, one for the medically qualified person which the insurance company and airline insisted should accompany me on the flight.

Answers The best thing was that Brides magazine, who had commissioned me to write an article, insisted on taking out insurance on my behalf, although I told them I had my own annual travel insurance policy. Their travel insurance covered everything. I had a helocopter to Ajaccio, an X-ray, several days in hospital there, flight back to the UK, transfer to the private Clementine Churchill Hospital, care there for several days.

The best part
Finances taken care of. Private hospital with private room, great food, TV on the wall. The curtains were so good I asked to buy them when the hospital refurbished.

Worst thing?
The Coriscan hospital staff did not speak English. I asked for a 'radio' and got an X-ray (radiography).
My collar bone was not set straight but left to find its own way so I am slightly lopsided and can't wear horizontal stripes.

Moral
Take out travel insurance covering all countries. You can sometimes buy travel insurance at the airport.

Modern hospital with trees and greenery in Singapore.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: